About JETAA Toronto
By Tricia Hamilton
Remember how it felt when you went to your pre-departure orientation? How nervous you were? The questions you had? “What will Japan be like? What about the people I’ll miss at home? Teaching CHILDREN?”
In past years, as part of P-DOT, JETAA has asked departing JETs to write letters to their future selves, asking them to imagine their lives in Japan, what they’re excited about, and their goals for their time on JET.
JETAA then collects the letters in sealed envelopes and keeps them safe. About six months later, we then contact the genki JETs and send them the letters that they wrote to themselves. Our JETs are generally delighted to receive these letters and see how much they’ve changed over that short time!
The AGM is also the time when we elect JETAA Executive members for the next year. These executive members help assure the smooth running of JET alumni events by taking on roles such as events coordinators, community liaisons, or communications support.
Location: The Fox & Fiddle (280 Bloor St W, Toronto, ON) near St. George Station
Ready to meet this year’s Exec? To introduce this year’s team, we asked each member to answer three questions from the two lists below.
CHOOSE and answer ONE question.
• Which konbini reigns supreme: Lawson, 7-Eleven, or Family Mart?
• If you could eat only one kind of Japanese food every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
• What’s your go-to karaoke song?
CHOOSE and answer TWO questions.
• If you had only one day in Japan, how would you spend it?
• What is the one piece of advice you would give to your pre-JET self?
• If Toronto had an official mascot, what would it be? / If JETAA Toronto had an official mascot, what would it be?
• Write a haiku that says something about who you are.
Here’s what they had to say:
The 2015-2016 JETAA Toronto Executive
|Website Coordinator||Nam Chuongfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Events Coordinator||Danielle Taschereau Mammersemail@example.com|
|Conference Coordinator||Clara Hofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Communications Coordinator||Judy Cerovskiemail@example.com|
|Promotions Coordinator||Anthony Ferreirafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Community Liaison||Geoffrey Greigemail@example.com|
|Membership Coordinator||Tricia Hamiltonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Advisors to the Board||Natalie Bay, Nadine Bukhman|
|Treasurer Support||Sonomi Tanaka|
|Events Support||Eunice Leung, Sabrina Josette Silk|
|Communications Support||Anielyn Benasa|
|Conference Support||Greoffrey Greig, Sifton Anipare|
|Membership Support||Natalie Chan|
To learn more about the 2015-2016 Executive Committee, click here.
The objectives of the association are as follows:
- To promote and foster mutual understanding, friendship, co-operation and continued bilateral exchanges between Canada and Japan through JETAA activities;
- To aid JET alumni in re-adjusting to Toronto while maintaining and expanding Japanese cultural and community ties developed during their time in Japan; and
- To promote and foster the continued growth and success of the JET Programme by assisting the Consulate General of Japan in Toronto in their recruitment, interview process, orientation and reorientation of JET participants.